Saturday, September 27, 2008

Stained Glass Masquerade

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean. Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness." Matthew23:25-28

I don't think it bothers the world that we sin. I think it bothers the world that we act like we don't. There are times that instead of being myself and exposing my own weakness and hurt. I portray a character of the person that I know I should be. But when I expose myself as weak and frail at times, it frees the Body of Christ to restore me as it should and invites others to unmask as well.
__________________________________________________________________________

Is there anyone that fails?
Is there anyone that falls?
Am I the only one in church today feelin' so small?

'Cause when I take a look around
Everybody seems so strong
I know they'll soon discover that I don't belong

So tuck it all away, like everything's okay
If I make them all believe it, maybe I'll believe it too.
So with a painted grin, I play the part again.
So everyone will see me the way that I see them.

Are we happy plastic people under shiny plastic steeples
With walls around our weakness and smiles to hide our pain
But if the invitation's open, to every heart that has been broken
Maybe then we close the curtain on our stained glass masquerade.

Is there anyone who's been there?
Are there any hands to raise?
Am I the only one who's traded in the altar for a stage?

The performance is convincing
And we know every line by heart
Only when no one is watching can we really fall apart?

But would it set me free?
If I dared to let you see?
The truth behind the person that you imagine me to be.

Would your arms be open or would you walk away?
Would the love of JESUS be enough to make you stay?

No comments: